- classically described as causing heel pain in older children, just prior to fusion of the calcaneal apophysis (between ages 12-15 yrs);
- diff dx: seronegative arthritis
- often associated with tight heel cord;
- it has been argued in the past that the radiographic fragmentation of the apophysis correlated w/ the patient's symptoms;
- as is shown below, however, fragmentation of the apophysis is a normal finding
Prevention and management of calcaneal apophysitis in children: an overuse syndrome.
Sever's injury: a stress fracture of the immature calcaneal metaphysis.