- arises from direct blows to the ear;
- trauma and resulting hematoma causes perichondrium to to separate from the cartilage, which cuts off
blood supply to the cartilage (causing cartilage necrosis);
- aspiration and application of compression dressing;
- compression dressing should consist of a semi-customized soft material which can be inserted
into the pina as well as a counter pressure dressing behind the ear;
- the two dressings can be held together with several horizontal matress sutures;
- material: No 502-3, 0.080 inch firm grade SIL-TEC sheeting, Technical products Inc of Georgia
A silicone splint for auricular hematoma.
Lane SE, et al. Physician Sports Med. 1998;26(9):77-78.