- neuropathic shoulder may result from syringomyelia (most common), chiari malformation, or syphilis;
- in some cases, it may be confused w/ shoulder instability;
- arthrodesis should be avoided in the acute inflammatory stage of the disease;
- Case Histories:
- 40-year-old female being worked up for rotator cuff tear.
- 14-year-old male presenting with shoulder pain while pitching.
- work up revealed Type I Chiari malformation.
Paraplegia, syrinomyelia tarda, and neuropathic arthrosis of the shoulder: a triad.
Syringomyelia presenting as shoulder instability.