Co-authored by Edward Harvey M.D.
- symptomatic hip almost uniformly progresses to further collapse without treatment;
- collapse rates approach greater than 85% in the symptomatic hips, even if first seen in the earliest stages;
- treatment plan for the asymptomatic AVN is controversial;
- approx 30% of the silent hips will go on to collapse;
- theoretically, a better outcome is achieved w/ early intervention;
- better outcomes w/ early intervention, have been demonstrated w/ core decompression for very early stages of AVN