- historically has yeilded good results in relieving pain;
- thumb shortening and subsidence, weakness of pinch, and decreased ability to adduct the thumb;
- Operative Technique:
- dorsal longitudinal incision centered over CMC joint;
- incision is curved volarly at the base of thenar eminence;
- superficial branches of the radial nerve are identified;
- abductor pollicis longus is transected 1.5 cm proximal to its insertion;
- EPB is retracted dorsally;
- longitudinal incision is made in CMC capsule, exposing the trapezium;
- reflect thenar muscles distally off their insertion onto scaphoid and trapezium;
- divide oblique ligaments (anterior and posterior) on ulnar side of metacarpal;
- remove the trapezium;
- interposition may consist of rolled up palmaris longus or gel foam;
- abductor pollicis longus is shortened 1 cm and repaired
Treatment of trapeziometacarpal arthritis: Results of resection arthroplasty.
Excision of the trapezium in osteoarthritis of the first carpometcarpal joint.